PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter accident Colombia........
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2019, 18:41
[email protected]

Received 622 Likes on 270 Posts
Sasless - I seem to read far more protesting from you but its a matter of viewpoint.

You seem to think all I have done is SAR in a helicopter, ignoring I have my own experience of fast roping and flying troops locked off on those ropes in exactly the manner you show - it isn't tricky and plenty here will have done it.

I agree that with people on a fixed line or rope you don't have the ability to jettison them over a safe area but lets not pretend that you or they have any other option than to arrive at the scene of the accident if it is a mechanical failure or mishandling as in the thread video.

AC and I simply point out that when you do have a choice then compromising the aircraft safety for the sake of one or two persons on a winch is a different call.

If you take a simple engine failure without the ability to fly away then whether you have one person on a winch or 6 on ropes makes little difference - you are going down and the only thing you can hope for is to give them a gentle last few feet to terra firma (or whatever you are over) and then try really hard not to land on them afterwards. If you have a winch you could cut the wire very late or winch in very fast - if you have ropes then you have no choice.

The assertion that you would always look after the person under the aircraft is an obvious one but you chose to criticise AC for his viewpoint - hardly
Where you and I differ is I am willing to see mine views challenged and happily respond.
since your response was hardly a happy one.