PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus reporting CI
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2019, 13:54
Check Airman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vilas
Check airman, as you can see one person feels VS is better than Climb, you feel it will be even better with ATHR off. It doesn't end there. The tinkering will carry on. ​​​But manufacturer who designed the aircraft have more qualified people what do they feel is the most important. If you don't like what they want you to do tell them. As you mentioned about filtering of speed there was no way of knowing that for a line pilot unless the manufacturer told them. So line pilots should follow recommended procedures and not develop their own. Definitely not in Airbus. If you feel something doesn't work or you have better idea than Airbus discuss with them. Toulouse oversees everything from Argentina to Korea(longer way). When someone wants to do it differently in Korea may be someone already had an incident doing it in Argentina. So let them tell you. Every tinkering may not be as dangerous as QZ8501 but better be safe than sorry. There are climb speeds no climb vertical speeds. VS can definitely be used as a short term intervention for whatever but not as a standard practice.
I think you missed the points I was trying to make. Firstly, regarding the AT, it just feels weird to me, having the speed target set to Vmax, and my actual speed at some number below that. Instead of trying to trick the plane into doing what I want (ie. keep clb thrust), I'd rather just drop down one level of automation and fly with the AT off. It just seems neater to me, and that way it's easier to tell at a glance if I'm at my target speed. I've never used this techniques as PF though.

My second point about the filtering was just to point out that the common argument of "OP CLB isn't smooth" is not really true on an A320. I flew an airplane where the equivalent of OP CLB could really get twitchy in bumpy air, but the Airbus AP is a fair bit more sophisticated than that AP.

Personally, I stick to OP CLB and CLB. Easy, smooth, and safe. The odd time it levels off in a 321, I haven't had ATC complain (they're well aware of our climb performance when heavy), and temporarily reducing the mach is my preferred technique.