PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 207 Squadron
Thread: 207 Squadron
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2019, 09:38
friendlypelican 2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As pointed out by Brian at post 8, I am an occasional poster but long-term 'lurker'. Yes, I am honoured to be the previous OC 207 and I have already (privately) congratulated Wg Cdr Scott Williams on his new appointment. When it was announced last year that 207 was to be the F35 OCU, I was both delighted and it has to be said, a little surprised. However, knowing of both the Royal Naval origins of the Sqn and that 207 has a long and distinguished service at Marham with both the Valiant and Washington, it all made some sort of sense.
Perhaps I can add a bit of clarity/knowledge to the 'silver' discussion, as I have a clear memory of itemising and carefully packing the silver etc. in accordance with the then regulations (DCI?) and sending it to 7MU at Quedgley. When 207(R) formed at Linton, they asked for all this to be restored to them. What arrived was a paltry few items (the CO's board was the most prominent!) and I confirmed that there had been considerably more originally. I was still in uniform at the time and in conjunction with the chaps at Linton I got involved with trying to find it. By this time, it had all been moved to Stafford (when Quedgley closed) and I had some prolonged discussions with a very helpful civil servant who searched all the paperwork he could find. Sadly to little avail. I remember lots of documentary and photographic stuff that resided in my office which now seems to have been lost and believe it is there to be found rather than having been 'stolen'. To me, the most important is a small piece of original artwork done in 1922 by a previous Boss, Sqn Ldr A Tedder. It is of note that he subsequently achieved more than any Sqn Cdr from any other Sqn that may also be at Marham.