PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane crash at William Creek Airfield
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2019, 06:10
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
https://fsb.raafansw.org.au/docPDF/J...ng_Article.pdf

The story of the how the canopy breaker knife was introduced into the RAAF. [quote]
Originally Posted by Ascend Charlie Centaurus, those tools have their limitations. The Macchis had them on the side wall, and in about 1978, when a canopy was to be removed by maintenance and discarded, the Powers decided it would be good to do a real test on the tool. All the staff and students gathered around, and the steely-eyed knuck walked to the aircraft.The pilot was strapped in the front seat, the lid was closed and locked, and the clock started.It was a weird feeling, watching somebody deliberately hacking at the canopy from inside, but what was surprising was that the canopy didn't break easily. It took him a LOT of backhanded hacking, then a rest of the tired arms, a change of grip and more hacking until a tiny hole appeared. A lot more hacking and he managed to make a hole big enough to squeeze out of, and the clock showed over 8 minutes. He was exhausted and overheated. A fire might have heated him a bit too much during the 8 minutes.We all formed new opinions on the strength of the canopy, and the usefulness of the tool.
Ascend Charlie. The canopy breaker tool (actually a heavy knife with a tough but short blade) was initially tested at ARDU only on a Sabre and Vampire Mk 30 canopy. That was because there were no other spare canopies to smash at the time. Dept of Air needed photographic evidence the knives would work as advertised before approving installation. They were to be tried on the Canberra bomber but that was knocked back by Wing Commander W. Brill who at the time was Staff Officer Bomber Operations (or similar appointment at HQ Operational Command).

The Wingco said the Canberra already had explosive bolts which could shatter the canopy therefore a escape knife was not necessary. If electrical power was not available to actuate the explosive bolts I wondered what would happen then. The result being the Canberra was never fitted with an escape tool. The crew entered the Canberra by a small hatch in the side of fuselage adjacent to the cockpit. If that hatch jammed you were a goner although I understand the navigator could blow off an escape hatch over his own position.
I was unaware of the testing of the canopy breaker knife on the Macchi maybe because I had long left the RAAF by then. But I can well believe the story as our own trials on the Sabre and single seat Vampire were a bit amateur I must cheerfully admit.

Last edited by Centaurus; 29th Jul 2019 at 06:21.