PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 - French prosecutors sends AF to court for negligence
Old 27th Jul 2019, 20:23
VFR Only Please

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UltraFan
(...) The question that has been bothering me most (is) Why the hell would an experienced 58-year-old captain with over 10,000 FH hours logged refuse the FO's suggestion to fly around the storm, point the aircraft right into icing and turbulence, and then simply leave the cockpit and let his less experienced colleagues deal with the fallout of his decision. I just cannot imagine that. You decide to fly into danger - you see it through and make sure you come out on the other side. (...)
There were many reports following the accident from hotel staff and others in Rio saying that the captain appeared absolutely exhausted, or ill, when he left for the flight. (I Think he'd been out on a helicopter sight-seeing trip the day of departure -- anyway, that sort of thing.)

And when the CVR was eventually fished up, there certainly were remarks to the effect that here was a guy awoken and rushed to the cockpit, and then obviously over-passive all the way down. For reasons we'll never know he clearly wasn't in good shape, and didn't take charge.

Perhaps the court proceedings will throw more light on this aspect, yea though an entire decade has elapsed.

Last edited by VFR Only Please; 28th Jul 2019 at 12:14.