PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Standby time
Thread: Standby time
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2019, 11:20
Council Van

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Northern Highflyer
Thanks for the replies. As I understand it, the role would mean being available to cover a duty at any time with a one hour report time. I guess its more on-call than a standby. Once on a duty then FTLs would apply. The job sounds really good in every other way, it's the lack of any downtime to enjoy a drink, Go out for a meal, attend an appointment, visit friends and family etc that concerns me. I would literally be sat waiting for the phone to ring for up to 7 days, unable to do anything else.
So you wake up at 7am, sit around all day waiting for the phone to ring eventually getting rhe call at 11pm at night ten minutes after getting into bed.

You feel a bit knackerd but have just started the job so want to look enthusiastic and will probably feel better after a coffee. At 3am you are landing in marginal conditions and mess up as you are getting really tired now. You survive the accident relatively unscathed but your passenger is not so lucky and had a broken back resulting in them being paralyzed.

Good luck when you are stood up in court trying to suggest that you were properly rested before undertaking the duty. Don't bother lieing that you slept in the after noon They will have access to your mobile phone records showing you texted your partner and your neighbours CCTV footage of you taking the dog for a walk.