PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2019, 08:22
longer ron

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by cyflyer
longer ron, my train of thought was also swirling around the notion that he may have had previous flying experience, and hence after initial EFTS, be awarded wings and retained to train other EFTS ab-initio students for the next year. That would explain many things.
how did you get this connection to him ? Googling 'Cambridge University Air Sqn' doesn't seem to bring up that connection. Any connection there would help explain a few things. His family did mention to me that they 'believed' he was at Cambridge before the war, but I thought they were mistaken because was at 2 Initial Training Wing, which happens to have been at Cambridge.
I just used this search term in google - Charalambous cambridge university air squadron

Which brought up this result (as in my previous post)

Wireless Operator/Air gunner, 75 (New Zealand) Squadron RAF .... Son of Charalambous and Haji Maritsa Charalambous, of Nicosia, Cyprus. ...... Mechanical Sciences at Trinity College, Cambridge(1938; joined University Air Squadron).
The trouble is - the way google search works - the reference to 75Sqn and Trinity College are not necessarily related to Chris - they may or may not be as this sort of google result (especially with dotted lines in between sentences) can mix up different entries/cached data.