PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Freighter S/O
Thread: Freighter S/O
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2019, 16:34
Slasher1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK...........Fine......

You try and help a brother pilot out by explaining what has been happening over the past decade(s), what is happening now, why it’s happening and you get STW and the like (IMHO someone doing damage control—either a company apologist or a Stockholm Syndrome pilot) manipulating facts to make things sound better than they are. Rationalizing to themselves. Making things up about O days that aren’t true, etc. Kind of like the company manipulating people, groups, and contracts. Not going to get into the weeds about it; POS 18 is (IMHO) a horrible contract; a pay for work deal which is wholly company centric and lacks all of the pay for work protections that a REAL airline pay for work contract has (no pay protection, duty rigs, trip rigs, decent minimum guarantee, real bidding and control over ones’ roster, real trip trading ability with pay protection, etc). One way street where they call and pay you if they need you but otherwise you’re stuffed. Have a look at it compared to a real CA/EA or CBA from a US major. Have a look at how many majors allow for the multitude of divisive contracts, differing conditions, and side deals that exist here (further dividing the work force against itself). Have a look at the effects of divisive conditions and a factionalized work force. Have a look at what you really NEED to live at a decent standard in HKG. And draw your own conclusions.

I think each DFO — when taking the reigns — gets one free ‘crazy idea’ card. Something which has the potential to have short term company gain (while ignoring long term company health and quality of product)—but is so absurd that the pilot body couldn’t possibly accept it without walking out. A kind of way out there “can I get away with this” thing to measure resistance as a barometer. In recent history some examples of this might be Dickie’s B-minus/C scale transition, Anna’s Continuous Reserve/rolling roster collapse scheduling system, and the present one is POS 18.

And there to me IS a culpability to those (regardless of circumstance) who roll in and blindly accept these deteriorating conditions. While YOU might simply be passing through using this as a stepping stone, there remain a large quantity of pilots that have been here (acquiring seniority) that now have to deal with the destruction that you, by your selfishness, have left in the wake. And if you would decide to stay by your naive outlook have cut your and your mates throats downline. Contrary to what STW might say this does NOT happen at major successful airlines elsewhere (who might view people as a longer term investment). Granted most of these have bargaining units which would not allow such a divisive contract structure to exist in the first place and realize the great destruction of workforce division (strangely enough both from a management and union perspective). Successful organizations take a team and incentive approach — realizing that the incentives created by someone feeling they are part of something larger than themselves and a strong sense of cohesion to the team is one of the most powerful motivating forces in the universe.

My contract ain’t gonna change until I pull the pin and I’m in a position to do so really at any time (which is a good position to be in and I’d suggest folks get there somehow as soon as possible). The places I routinely live are (IMHO) nicer than the Chief Executives’ in HKG (meaning that you probably HAVE to commute for a decent lifestyle; something the new contract will not support—what you need to make depends entirely on where you live). When you’re an old guy that can do that this deal can actually be fun if you’re proactive in making it so. Most all of my friends who have decades in front of them with airline flying as a career have left (and I really miss them—which was one of the major reasons for being here in the first place).

Has it been a mistake ? Depends on in what sprit you ask the question. If it’s in regard to a life experience, then no—things happen in life and you learn and grow from them while enjoying the ride. Which I’ve done. Made a lot of friends and experienced some pretty cool things with many blessings in life at this point. Learned a lot about others and myself while enjoying the ride. Things in life happen for a reason and you really want to embrace it. But I joined quite a bit ago and things have accelerated downward over the past 4 or 5 years. If the intent was to have a fulfilling airline career and being a part of something great in aviation then most definitely it was a mistake. All of the great things have involved some wonderful people and great friends (and a few cool places and experiences) and not the job itself. If I was looking for a fulfilling career and knew then what I know now (or had someone helpful on the internet who actually worked there providing advice), I would have made a much different decision. Perhaps my fault; perhaps because information flowed more slowly then (and it really was a different place but perhaps there were warning signs I ignored). Perhaps at the time I was one of those Pollyannas that seem to pervade this forum (albeit on better conditions). And have learned something.

AND things have gone downhill since then; at least toward new joiner conditions and future outlook.

Yes, there IS a definite pilot shortage (even in the US) and market conditions will never be better. Even some US majors are short staffed (witness the record travel numbers and cancellations when anything happens because even they have difficulty shuffling crews; and they are better staffed than here). Seniority is everything in the airline business. You have veterans of decade(s) of experience here deciding to dump the precious seniority they have for greener pastures (and endure much lower conditions for a couple of years while they climb the ladder again—but with a futures outlook much brighter in every way). And a happier life (which is probably the most important thing). Draw your own conclusions.

It’s a big, bright world out there and ones’ most valuable asset in life is time. If one wastes it one will certainly look back with regret. So make good choices; ones which embrace a bright future. Not one driven out of fear or that this is ‘the best you can do.’ Abandon poor choices quickly so that you don’t get suckered into a quagmire and self-made rut.

I can save no one from themselves nor can (or should) I try to help someone who has powerful rationalization skills. Some people gotta do a face plant on the concrete to figure out it hurts and you should avoid doing face plants on the concrete to begin with (and ignoring the advice of those who’ve tripped and done a few face plants themselves). Y’all have at it and good luck.

Last edited by Slasher1; 26th Jul 2019 at 17:48.