PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FM immunity - thoroughly confused by Pilot magazine
Old 4th Nov 2003, 17:01
Chilli Monster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go back to the Pilot magazine quote. Add class 'D' and 'E' airspace to the list and then replace the word or with and and it reads right. A poorly worded statement on their part.
And I remember a training flight where we flew through the Lyneham CTA IFR tracking CPT on a non-immune set: yes, we were in VMC, but we definitely got an IFR clearance...
Then you were the bad boys for accepting the clearance. ATC doesn't know the state of the kit in your aircraft - you do and it is always the pilots responsibility to refuse a clearance which he is not entitled to accept.

Having said that did you actually state you were IFR or VFR, and did they actually give you a clearance that could have been construed as VFR or IFR? The reason I say this is my experience of Lyneham is not so much a clearance issued on the basis of flight rules as would be done in the civil world, but on the basis of what service you are receiving outside CAS. Nothing against the boys and girls there who do a sterling job, but just an observation from outside.
Not sure why the GASIL says you need FM immune ILS outside CAS, though - I can't find any justification for that in the ANO...?
Think about why you need one full stop. It's all because of the protection required between ILS and radio broadcast stations which may be adjacent to the ILS band. After all - if you're doing a coupled approach then the ILS doesn't know whether it's inside or outside CAS - but it does know whether it's being interfered with or not with the associated safety ramifications