PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2019, 07:06
longer ron

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by cyflyer
EFTS would take approximately 6 weeks, and then they would be awarded their wings, true ? Is it possible that pilots would be retained to carry on teaching at the EFTS ? I thought they went through SFTS before being re-directed to instructing duties.
Through reading many autobiographies it seemed to usually take somewhere between 6 to 12 months from 'Ab Initio' to being awarded 'wings',but there were always anomalies - there were a few military pilots who never actually did a flying training course but were awarded their wings on the basis of previous experience (early in both WW1 and WW2).

Glad you found out about the Court Martial - I suspected it was a Low Flying CM - anything more serious would probably have precluded eventual commissioning,the reason I suspected a CM was the amount of time he spent as an AC2 after demotion from Sgt.I also originally thought the same as Chugs that it might be related to the mushroom incident ?

edit - looking again at your posts - he was awarded a severe rep from the Jan 1942 CM - was he perhaps Court Martialled again for another flying misdemeanor ?

Last edited by longer ron; 26th Jul 2019 at 07:28.