PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 26th Jul 2019, 02:49
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

I am not sure which procedure I should follow, especially if I cannot assess the nose down pitch moment as being "runaway trim".
My stick shaker is vibrating in all its full glory and I have unreliabke speed warnings. Do I raise my flaps? Oh well, I raise the suckers. And try to handle the stall warning. Then I get a nose down pitch moment but I can stop it and even reverse it using the handy manual switches on the wheel. Is it related to the stall warning? Maybe a structural problem? So back to the stall warning procedure.... and then I get another nose down moment, but it too stops soon as I beep the trim switch. Not being in the habit of staring at the trim wheel on the center pedestal while trying to gain altitude and handle the shaking wheel, I continue using manual trim and finally conclude the STS is working backwards and is trimming nose down when speed is increasing ( I assume speed is increasing in spite of the unreliable speed indication because the trees seem to be moving faster under the nose). I finally turn off the stab trim switch that is supposed to stop AP/STS trim, but now my manual trim switch doesn't work 'cause the two switches are wired in series. I never saw the classic runaway trim, and the 5 second pause after manually trimming further complicates my assessment of what is wrong and what procedure should be executed.
GASP!
And so on.
We really do not know the extent that the jump seat dude halped in the next to last Lion flight, and haven't heard a peep from the other two dudes either. So maybe it was that fellow who thot the STS was working backwards. Hopefully this will come out in the report.
++++++++++++++++++++
So I cut the Lion crew a bit of slack, moreso than ET. Nevertherless, neither plane should have gone down had they knew about MCAS and understood the collection of cues that indicated its failure.

Gums sends...