PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS Area frequencies and boundaries
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2003, 15:09
Ushuaia

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm an RPT pilot. Received my "Pilot Pack" yesterday in the mail. Frankly, I'm stunned. This airspace system means RPT flying is less safe than before. I challenge anyone to tell me otherwise. Passengers flying on RPT aircraft in Australia are being exposed to a less safe system. This is despite Mike Smith's assertion at the start of the glossy:

"And most importantly, [the current airspace system] does not deliver the level of safety that could be achieved by adopting a system designed to world's best practice"

What an obscure statement. He is trying to create the impression that the new system is safer. However the statement can really be read two ways: and one way is that the new level of safety achieved could actually be lower. It doesn't say the level of safety achieved is actually higher!! So I'll say it again: this is a less safe system for RPT passengers. Someone explain to me otherwise.

B747's, 767's, 737's, 717's now mixing it in Class E airspace with unknown, unnotified VFR traffic. Reliant on the VFR bloke remembering to turn his transponder on. Or we have to look out the window whilst doing 330kts and 4500 fpm descent, see a guy and manoeuvre to avoid hitting him? Pleeeeease.... And he may not even be on the same radio frequency. One of my near misses in a former life was in Class E airspace off the coast of L.A. Controller tried to advise us but got stepped on..... He managed to get an urgent heading change to us at the last second - as the TCAS went off.... Hmmm, Class E, great system of airspace..... right....

Yes, Duff Man, what's it going to take....?