Thread: Freighter S/O
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2019, 01:40
Sam Ting Wong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
100 % disagree.

Condescending, patronizing, ideologic.

Grind King, Jakenobi,

as you probably realize by now, and Slasher's comments are making it obvious, there is a vociferous group of pilots in CX who don't want you to join. They believe that if the company would not be able to recruit on current terms this would somehow shield their own contract.

I think this is nonsense. In my opinion Cathay has to respect the market and every company that is as ignorant as Slasher would go under sooner or later. So, to be fair, I am not neutral either.

Wether Slasher and the others truly believe their statements regarding life in HK and CX, or if they deliberately paint a gloomy picture I don't know. What I do know is it ain't true or at the very least is highly subjective.

Wether or not the current offer is sufficient or not I can't judge. It would not be acceptable for me, but naturally it all depends on your options. My advice would be: do your homework. Check the cost of living, especially housing and school fees if applicable. Being single or having double income helps. Most junior pilots have partners with jobs, the generation of Slasher and Cpt Underpants mostly don't. It is in the end all up to your personal situation. A lot of expats do not like to live in Hong Kong, they eventually start a long haul commute, a fool proof way to misery in my opinion.Or they decide to stay for 25 years because it is actually the best option ( but still moan on PPrune how miserable life here is).

If you can, extend your stay during the interview and see for yourself.

As for the numbers I don't know for sure, but low three digits in new recruits every year, mainly cadets.

Attrition might be higher among low seniority guys at the moment, but not because CX became worse. What changed is that Quantas, Air NZ, UPS etc started to hire again and/or they have now the hours to apply.

The new contract on offer, as I understand it, does not give you a guaranteed income, it all depends on the number of hours you work. Naturally, you can't influence your roster. If you work as much as current pilots your income is at the same level, but only then. I have no idea how many hours you will get to work.

Time to upgrade is guess work. Nobody knows. Currently 4 years from SO to JFO. The type you will upgrade on will be decided on the day. Again, nobody knows. At the moment all 747 SO transfer to other fleets.

The 747 is probably the most undesirable fleet at the moment.I personally would rather fly passengers and I hate most of the hotels. On the upside, I would argue the 747 gives you the most consecutive days off due to longer rest requirements after a week on the road. My average number of days off is currently 14 plus leave, hence I would not take any other type even if it would be offered to me.

Good luck

Last edited by Sam Ting Wong; 25th Jul 2019 at 08:36.