PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canadian jet fighter purchase when?
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2019, 21:02
grizzled

Received 79 Likes on 14 Posts
Some here seem to be confusing "subsidies" with "fraud, bribery or kickbacks,".

Specifically, yyzflightpath, if you truly believe that a "deferred prosecution agreement" was / is suitable for SNC Lavalin, I suggest you haven't researched (or perhaps don't care) how they do business and why many Canadians (and others around the globe) consider SNC Lavalin to be an embarrassment to Canada.
How about this short list of proven frauds or scandals involving SNC Lavalin:
  • Kerala hydro dam (India)
  • Jacques-Cartier bridge (Montreal)
  • Illegal political donations (Canada)
  • Corruption, fraud, money laundering (Libya)
  • McGill University Health Care (Montreal) – referred to by some as “the biggest fraud in Canadian history”.
  • Padma bridge (Bangladesh)
I have listed six but there are more. How many more? -- Here’s a summary of SNC Lavalin’s activities and reputation on the world stage:
  • SNC Lavalin is in the midst of a 10 year ban on bidding for, or being involved in any way, in any World Bank related contracts. The ban was invoked after the Libya affair caused the World Bank to look deeper into SNC Lavalin’s involvement in contracts.
  • Here are some statistics from the World Bank that make Canada look like a modern day mafia hideout: “Of the more than 250 firms that are banned from bidding on World Bank contracts, 117 are from Canada. Think that's bad (it is)? There’s something even more sinister: SNC and its affiliated companies represent 115 of those 117 companies.
Contemplate all the above -- objectively if you can -- and then tell me again that my opposition to bailouts (and issuing free passes as in Deferred Prosecution Agreements) is because I'm biased against Quebec. I'm biased against giving any of my money to such companies anywhere.

Your serve...