PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canadian jet fighter purchase when?
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2019, 20:26
VFR Only Please

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great, an argument over Canadian politics.

People who talk about "tax dollars" paying for these things need to bone up on modern monetary theory. That simply isn't how it works anymore, and hasn't been since we went off the gold standard almost half a century ago.

Quebec has a lot of seats in parliament. Any government with political sense will want to keep it sweet -- hence all the federal installations of various kinds there. But subsidies to a specific company? Maybe in a marginal riding ...

Originally Posted by yyzflightpath
The auto industry (also potentially the green energy industry) in Ontario, and oil and gas development out west have both received massive subsidy supports far beyond the $ value bombardier or likely any Quebec corporation ever received. (...)
Right. In my Ontario childhood it was always explained that part of the tax on gasoline went to develop Alberta's oil industry and hence Canadian energy autonomy. And then what did we see during the 1970s energy crisis? Bumper stickers in Alberta saying "Let the eastern bastards freeze in the dark!" Gosh, thanks.
Well it always was a centrifugal country.

Anyway, back to the thread topic. What Canadian government at the moment would go so low as to purchase an American fighter after recent (and not-so-recent) events?

Also (I have to ask this), what purpose do these fighters serve? To strafe Edmonton should Alberta decide to become the 51st state? I'm now citizen of a country where I ask exactly the same question. Some people can get pretty huffy, but nobody has yet produced a convincing answer. And yes, they're F18s, and yes, they're a-gittin' old.