PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - any americian pilots here
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2003, 12:39
Jim Morehead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignitionoverride
Where are you know and who do you work for?
(e-maill if easier is [email protected])

Eva is the private airline in Taiwan and smaller than CAL. It has many of the same expats as CAL. There are some at EVA that came to CAL supposedly for better pay. CAL actually pays reasonably well by many world standards and is expanding.

CAL has almost 50% of its 55 747-400s (or 744s as they call them) and is hiring and expanding in a good economy. EVA has more smaller airplanes.

The Taiwan givernment spreads out the flying between the 2 carriers when only one can have a route. CAL goes to JFK and EVA to EWR. EVA goes to London somewhere and CAL has ROME.

Since I like warm weather, Taiwain suits me well. It is overly warm in summer just like Florida,but most of the year it is fine.

CAL has some different ways compared to UAL. There are almost 50% Captains on the 744 and that helps the proficiency level and also allows them more flexibility in using Captains as Relief Pilots. So I am a bunkie about 1/3 of the time and still do walkarounds.

The pay is not that far from UAL pay now because of the 35% pay cut and another 10% (in my case) because the 400 pay is now equal to 777 pay at UAL.

All in all very happy,but gone from home too much.I would not recommend this for people with young kids or old parents. You could not run any second business from the U.S. in a job like this.

I am only guaranteed 8 days off in the U.S. and I am based in SFO. In the other 22, I spend about 8-10 in TPE and the rest flying. I get to ORD/BNA/MIA/LAX/SFO/JFK/YVR about 3 times per month