PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Harrier Demise - Help!
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2019, 10:56
Wingless Walrus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No doubt, ‘Salami slicing’ it was.

The size of the ‘salami slice’ may have been limited by the pre-2010 policy to maintain carrier strike until JSF. A FAF of 32 (including OCU aircraft; 27x GR7/9 + 5x T10/T12) seems to be enough to maintain a carrier strike force.

A while ago I compiled a scrap book of ‘Harrier demise’ info when I had enough energy to run around parliamentary/official online records like a ferret in a rabbit warren.

If memory serves me right, the SDSR10 was done in record time, about 4-5 months; all others I think were longer, at least a year or more?

The reasons given for removing Harrier was that 1) money needed to be saved (to tackle the UK deficit and MOD ‘black hole’) which meant losing one FJ type, and 2) that carrier strike was deemed as ‘not essential’.

1) Money Saved

According to parliament debates in the Lords and Commons, Harrier cost was put as £100m annually (in 2010), which is less than 0.3% of the annual defence budget (around £35-£37 billion annually). An Invincible class carrier was put at £35m annually (0.1% of the annual defence budget).

Maintaining carrier strike cost £135m annually (less than 0.4% of the annual defence budget).

Opposition in Lords agreed cuts needed but queried the size and speed of the cuts.

2) Carrier Strike Not Essential

Judging something solely on whether it is essential could lead to not buying a hammer on the grounds that you can knock nails in with a brick and so it is not essential. Not essential but it is very useful, efficient and effective in certain tasks. If not destitute any person would buy the hammer.

SDSR10 got rid of a very useful capability for ten years and saved 0.4% of the defence budget.

Just months after binning carrier strike, up popped Libya, a scenario in which carrier strike would have been very useful, although not essential. Especially if DM Brimstone integration onto Harrier was completed (was ongoing in Mar 2010 according to one article; see comment #31).

I think USA, France and Italy all utilised carriers in this campaign, I cant remember if Spain used its carrier/Harriers (USA and Italy used Harriers, I think).

What difference would carrier strike have made to Libya? Would it have reduced the Tornado numbers or just added to them? I imagine GR4/RAPTOR and Harrier (10min away on a carrier; possibly also with DM Brimstone?) may have complemented each other well?

Last edited by Wingless Walrus; 24th Jul 2019 at 02:59.