PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would you like to see changed in MOD and across the Services?
Old 23rd Jul 2019, 10:53
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by heights good
Here is a starter for 10.....

Accept not all officers want promotion, they just enjoy the job and hate the nonsense politics, stupid additional duties and games

Get rid of pointless tick chasing i.e. Corruption or Bias DLE, yearly swim test, CCS first aid, workstation risk assessment etc.

A JPA-type system that works

Abolish management and promote leadership

Stop meddling in pensions/allowances

The right to a private life i.e. you dont need to know my wife's name or how old my children are.

Cease the infuriating nonsense of "you are in the military" as an excuse to treat people badly, speak to them poorly and mess them around on a whim.

Abolish HRG for booking anything. It costs a fortune and is more expensive per booking.

Hold people of ALL ranks responsible for their action/decisions

Prevent senior officers involved in large procurements from serving on boards of those companies involved

The abolition of RRP(P) removal on PVR. It is immoral and punitive and causes those that should leave to stay and become toxic

OASC to look at medical issues for those commissioning from the ranks differently, rather than treat as a new joiner. I.e. If you are a SNCO signed to 55 yo, the fact you have had post-natal depression/bad back/poor eyesight/PTSD ETC is irrelevant, you are signed to 55 already anyway.

Flying pay for ALL aircrew

RRP for certified and chartered engineers

Beards and side burns allowed

SFA that is fit for purpose

SLA that is fit for purpose

Independent body that has the power and means to deal with all Service issues such as SLA without hot water for 2 months. This body should have public oversight and publish its trends.

Politicians constitutionally barred from interfering in military matters

Service chiefs granted autonomy to speak to the media with no consequences for their position.

Stopping of silly D&I mandatory you-will-conform-to-the-groupthink training. It has never changed anyones values or mindset, its just a waste of a day.

Service chefs

Real food - Not crappy, over-processed, cheap and poisonous franken-foods

Your own OJAR/SJAR is completed by 1RO with input from subordinates

IT system that works

IT contractors that are available 24/7 from anywhere on the planet.

Removal of golden handcuff contractors - £1,000 to move a Intranet tap 10ft... Really?!?

Abolishment of Travel Cells - They sit on bookings for weeks and then the cost soars or flights are no longer available

No requirement to pay hotel accommodation and claim back. Yes you CAN claim an advance of 90% of costs, which is not always convenient, possible or available. Give HRG something to do for their money, book the hotel and HRG can claim it from the MoD. We had an instance whereby 18 yo LACs were put in hotels for 2 months. They assumed the hotels were paid for until after a few weeks they were presented with a bill for £1,800. They were paid half of that as a monthly wage. Absolutely abhorrent.

That is all I can think of for now.....
Lots of interesting points there, but the Services are not above the laws of the land - which also raises the point of (lack of) fair representation of the Services.

Totally agree on the HRG point; luckily in my last MOD assignement, I was authorised to use my GPC for booking and paying for all work-related travel and had a dispensation not to use HRG. Got some cracking deals as a result. And saved the Authroity moeny by using Skyscanner etc.