PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ozzies can’t fly when it’s windy?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2019, 00:08
Lookleft

Received 195 Likes on 90 Posts
To paraphrase an old saying"Those with glass jaws should not throw punches". Back to the point of the thread. The problem is that cross wind landings are considered to be a risky maneuver by airline management and therefore have to have limits imposed on them. The 30kt crosswind exercise in the sim does not have the same feel as a gusty northerly on 27 in the middle of summer. Too many F/O's that I fly with treat it as a fly by numbers exercise by applying X amount of rudder with Y amount of aileron rather than look out the window and modify their control inputs to keep it tracking along the centreline. The various manufacturers manuals that I have studied during endorsement training describe the technique but it is like learning to play golf from a book. By the time you are flying a jet, cross wind technique should be second nature. This second nature however is very much influenced by the career path that got you to the jet in the first place. One of my favourite memories in over 30 years of professional flying is when I was completing my line training on the Saab with Kendell Airlines. The training Captain was more interested in showing how good he was and how useless I was. I was the PF onto 27 in Melbourne with a strong northerly blowing. On board was Don Kendell so it was his aeroplane that I was flying and as he was also a pilot, he would be judging my skills. He came into the crew room afterwards and said in that distinctive voice "Who did that landing?". When I told him it was me he said. "Well if you can land it like that in that wind you are doing alright." It is the same technique I have used in Metro's Boeings and Airbus.