PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Autothrust with Autopilot OFF
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2019, 08:42
HAMFAN73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autothrust with Autopilot OFF

Originally Posted by FlightDetent
You have LH who presumably suggest A/THR off with manual flight.
You have BA who presumably mandate A/THR on at all times.

Go figure.

Since this question is on the use of A/THR in particular, it is worth noting that your understanding of GS mini being lost without A/THR is a gross error. It's just an (automated) speed bug on the dial. No harm done, but uncovering how this mistake happened during your research might unearth a few more.

Take care, feel free to ask.
Thank you FlighDetent. Yes, I had entirely misunderstood GS mini and goodness knows what else. I have since found a thread from back in 2010 where Norman Stanley Fletcher's explanation (plus your contribution and others') neatly explains things clearly, so I have learnt --if not entirely understood-- a lot.

I note, also, that I have conflated too separate issues: #1: being differing policies between airlines as regards A/THR use in manual flight and how this may relate to manually handling skills, and #2: GS Mini being a standalone Airbus aid to help manage the relationship between energy/TAS/IAS/VAPP. In the cae of 1#, the fact that Airbus 'recommends' something, but that some airlines interpret this recommendation differently, is something that a binary soul like me struggles with. Nevertheless, as I inform myself more and more on this website, so I come to understand that many things are open to interpretation in aviation! It seems paradoxical sometimes but I guess that's the nature of the beast.

My questions arise --with limited understanding but unlimited curiosity-- as to how pilots manage energy on approach in gusting winds. Goodness knows how many times I have sat there in seat 3C, listening to engines spooling up and down on approach and then, hearing the noise of the autopilot disconnect, wondering how a pilot can simultaneously keep one eye on IAS (which engine noise suggests is fluctuating significantly); manage thrust (or not if A/THR engaged -- hence the question) to maintain VAPP/VREF; stay on the glide-slope/glide-path....and at some point look up and out at the PAPIs, assuming they are there. Anyway, all I can say is that on a winter's day in a howling gale, it's pretty impressive from a PAX perspective.

Thanks for your patience and explanation.