PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Harrier Demise - Help!
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2019, 07:59
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by BEagle
The BIG mistake was losing the SHAR F/A2 with AIM-120, Blue Vixen and Link 16.
Well said. I suppose I'm odd, as I worked on Blue Vixen before managing Blue Fox ILIC/AnderWave, but both were the dog's bollix and other countries were queuing up to buy Fox from us when Vixen was coming in. Still far too advanced, and it wasn't permitted.

But the demise of SHAR came as no surprise to us. The writing was on the wall from around 91. Perhaps changing designation from FRS2 to F/A2 was a clue; others would know more than I. But there was just a lack of interest, almost a resignation. AMSO were either pouring vast amounts of RN funding down the drain, or robbing it for the RAF. (Same thing in many ways). A 15-year spares buy for Fox six months shy of complete disposal. What genius approved that? Actually I know. His reply was the RN can go take a jump. At least he replied, the RN didn't. The funding line simply said 'Sea Harrier radar', so there was nothing left for Vixen support. And AMSO/AML never did grasp the concept of support at sea for 6 months, their assumption being that a CVS would immediately fly home any unserviceable LRU; and a C-130 would land-on to deliver it back a year later. (Not a replacement - the same LRU. Only let a repair contract when you're got an outstanding demand. New policy as of Oct 1990). RN HQ didn't give a toss. Individuals did, of course, but my abiding memory is that important parts of the RN didn't fight too hard.