PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gippsland GA-8’s Grounded
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2019, 03:03
djpil

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by RVDT
Maybe the fact that no other aircraft was involved and the wing outboard of the strut broke off?
There is a long list of types that have crashed due catastrophic failure of a wing and/or tail.with no other aircraft involved.
Originally Posted by Global Aviator
So what’s caused the grounding from the Sweden crash?

Other types have crashed and not immediate grounding.

Something we are not being told?
Something must be known for there to be an immediate grounding. But CASA just says "a precautionary step pending the outcome of further investigation " - and EASA went along with it:
Early reports are that a wing may have detached from the aeroplane prior to the accident, but, at this time, the root cause of the accident cannot be confirmed. CASA Australia, the authority of the State of Design of the affected type design, has informed EASA that a Direction will be issued, which provides for the temporary prohibition of operations of the GA8 Airvan in Australia.
I guess there is a new rule for the issue of ADs to ground aircraft immediately?

Same logic as when I got a phone call from someone after a Pitts accident telling me not to fly mine as it had the same propeller. Nope, quick read of the newspaper report and peek at a photo of the wreckage - my opinion - it was LOC at low altitude.

Perhaps there should be some ADs grounding aircraft which have entered an unrecoverable spin until investigation proves the aircraft was not at fault.