PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft Museums
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2003, 04:56
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zeppelins, ah!

I recently visited the Zeppelin Museum in Friedrichshafen, Germany. The town is located on the north shore of Lake Constance (the Bodensee), very close to the Swiss border.

The museum features a reconstruction of a section of the Hindenburg, including an airstair that you climb to enter a lounge, with access to the sleeping quarters. It's rather plain, but I guess that was how it was built to keep it light.

In another part of the reconstruction you can get a close look at the details of the way the structure was made, along with how the skin was attached. The amount of work that went into those ships was staggering.

Then there are exhibits covering the history of the development of the airship, a Maybach automobile (Maybach developed many of the engines for the various zeppelins), lots of mementoes of Count von Zeppelin and his many associates, such as Maybach, Dornier, Eckener, etc. There are various bits from scrapped airships, including some British ones, so that you can see the design evolution, to a limited extent.

In another section of the museum there is an art gallery with some interesting paintings and sculptures.

There is a fairly comprehensive section on the military uses of the airship, including some beautiful models.

There are audio guides available for non-German speaking visitors and many exhibits have bi-ligual captions. There is also a restaurant and a gift shop with some interesting books, toys and paper models.

It is also possible to book rides on the Zeppelin NT. I have no idea what that costs. As we were eating our lunch the very ship came by the windows of the restaurant! My wife couldn't believe what she was seeing. It appeared to be much bigger than that British design I used to see flying in Fuji colours over some parts of Germany in the summertime.

The town itself looks rather prosperous but some of the other nearby towns have much more Olde Worlde charm, if you go for that sort of thing...

I would rate it as definitely worth a trip if you have a lot of interest in airships.

Oddly enough, the rights to distribute Caterpillar equipment in Germany belong to the Zeppelin foundation. The two extremes in terms of weight, I suppose?