PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Pilot Falling Standards
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2003, 04:09
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HALF A PILOT,

Nowhere in his post does Hoverman distinguish between instructors with CPLs and those without. Neither, as far as I can see, is he talking about teaching ability. Of course a new instructor with 330 hours (300 plus the 30 required on the FI course) will not be as proficent as the instructor with thousands of hours. But that's not the point. Hoverman was talking about pre-flight checks, start-ups etc. It really doesn't take thousands of hours to learn to teach those. You simply need to want to do it.

When I was doing my PPL(H), my first instructor laughed when I couldn't reach the rotors from the step on the R22, and said not to worry; someone else could always do that bit for me. I won't be patronised; I got a ladder and demanded that he show me what to check. I had to more or less beg for a second lesson on the "A" check. Had I been less conscientious, a lot of stuff would have been missed - and some things were anyway. I think I was perceived as a nice middle-aged woman who might possibly get a PPL and fly occasionally, but not to be taken too seriously. Instructors shouldn't make assumptions or short-change their students. But I assure you, some do!!!!