PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 - French prosecutors sends AF to court for negligence
Old 19th Jul 2019, 15:55
Uplinker

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts
I had not seen this video before, but it is immediately obvious that the RHS pilot has not been taught how to correctly use the Airbus FBW side-stick and it is clear that he also did not know or did not remember the correct memory drills for unreliable speed or a stall.

I don’t know what he is looking at but he does not appear to notice the pitch or the IVSI. As soon as ‘Stall Stall’ is first heard, he does not dip the nose (pitch down), as you should in a stall not at lift-off, and a few ‘stall stall’s later he goes to TOGA. I wonder if he is doing Stall at lift-off drill (TOGA and pitch +15°)? He spends most of the time after that holding the side-stick aft of neutral and fussing about keeping wings level, (not a priority for nose high upset), as well as over controlling and almost never pushing forward.

This illustrates lack of sufficient handling training and lack of sufficient memory drill practise. Memory drills need to be instinctive - almost reflex actions. This can only be developed if pilots have sufficient physical practise. You don’t need a six axis FFS SIM to practise memory drills, but you do need some sort of instrument simulator with the same displays, controls and control feel as the real thing.