PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Niugini 737 overun at Guam
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2019, 10:23
NCD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just culture is a fantastic concept, but I cannot for the life of me see how it can be applied to this fatal crash.

"Just Culture is a culture in which front line operators or other persons are not punished for actions, omissions, or decisions taken by them, that are commensurate with their experience and training, but in which gross negligence, wilful violations and destructive acts are not tolerated".

The comment "Air Niugini is safe as any other airline in the world" is from years ago when you (Plugga) were a TNG CAPT, and I am sure that you would remember that the Check culture was tough (and in reality it needed to be).

But this crash proves that it was not safe at that point (one dead, several critical), and I'd suggest it the safety culture has been lacking for quite some time.

An example of lack of safety culture:
Rumour is is that the crash Captain was to be retrained as an FO on the B767, and the FO retrained for FO duty on the B737. It is further rumoured that it took the intervention of the incoming (now current) MD / CEO to cancel that idiotic decision, making the call that no retraining was to be made until the report was finalised. .

The AIC report is hugely critical of every aspect of both PX and PNG CASA (both of which you Plugga were involved with), so to call ANG as safe as any airline could be seen either as somewhat biased, living in a past life, or justifying the actions of friends.

I'd like to believe that ANG can rebuild and become a regarded airline once again, but to do so, Management need to understand that there is a certain skill set that needs to be there in the Flight Operations Department, certain experience is needed on the Flight Deck, and above all they need to be represented by a DECENT and STRONG manger that can stand up to the Political Masters that ANG simply fawns too and bends over for in such a sickening way.