PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CASA Catch 22
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2019, 08:34
Texanav8r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The CASA Catch 22

Ok, so I’ve been trying to get my ATPL converted and the process is just ridiculous. I’ve had to turn in (and pay $400 for) the application twice, had to do the AHUF, IREX, AOSA, and ELP6 tests at $150 a pop. And now it looks like in order to do the flight test, I’ll have to do that here is AUS rather than stateside as part of one of my jet recurrent. $12,800 is what I was quoted for that!

Of course it would be nice if an airline would pay for the ATPL test in one of their sims, but I can’t apply to the airlines without an Australian license! So the great catch 22.

someone suggested I do the CPL conversion first, then go to the airlines after and say that I just need the ATPL test flight which they would normally do for their candidates anyway.

anyone have any idea what’s involved with the CPL conversion if I go this route?

im feeling really beat down by the whole process... almost like there either is a strict rule to keep foreign pilots out, or that there really isn’t a pilot shortage here after all

???

Last edited by Texanav8r; 19th Jul 2019 at 09:02.