PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Strategy for Thunderstorms on Approach
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2019, 08:06
safetypee

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
B2N2,
Your appropriate professional view is only one of a range of outcomes dependent on how experiences in challenging situations are used. Risks assessed and adequately mitigated, the exposure reviewed and memorised, can contribute to professional expertise - professionalism.

Alternatives include inadequate risk assessment and mitigation, but with an acceptable outcome the exposure could be stored as a valuable lesson learnt (don’t do that again), or as an overconfident self-assessment of future ability. The latter is a powerful human bias - egocentric bias, also confirmation bias, choice supportive bias.

In an anonymous forum we cannot determine which of the outcomes is being related without further explanation, thus the reader could be adversely influenced if less adequate posts are taken at face value.
Question #1 represents an alternative approach, requesting information and explanation.
Statements of ‘I have done that before’ do not relate the actual situation to the experience gained, or the personal attitude of the poster - training capt or troll.
Biased memories can be hazardous because an unwary newbie could be adversely influenced.

Many posts in forums are opinion - ‘opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge’ Bill Bullard
In addition “I’m entitled to my opinion” is used to shelter beliefs that should have been abandoned. It becomes shorthand for “I can say or think whatever I like”.You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to what you can argue for.https://theconversation.com/no-youre...r-opinion-9978

My humble, argued, opinion.