PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Twin engine plane into hangar in Addison, Texas, at least 10 dead
Old 19th Jul 2019, 03:13
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Having watched that alarming video, I am reminded of a special condition applicable to the 200's, 300's and 1900's which I encountered while conducting flight testing for a survey mod on a B200. (note that I have never flown a 300, though the special condition and TCDS state that it applies to the 300 also.

The special condition #23-47-CE-5, dated: October 15, 1973 includes the following letter from the FAA:

"Oct 15, 1973

ACE-216

Beech Model 200 angle of skid; Beech Aircraft Corporation
letter 908-189 dated August 23, 1973

Mr. C. A. Rembleake, Manager
Aircraft Production Engineering Division
Beech Aircraft Corporation
P. O. Box 85
Wichita, Kansas 67201

Beech has requested certification guidance for their model 200 relative to the term "appropriate to type" in FAR 23.177(a)(1). A joint Beech-FAA flight test was made August 17, 1973 to establish a basis for this guidance.

A qualitative investigation of the lateral-directional static stability shows the characteristics to be conventional. Skid angles of 20-25 degrees are obtained at 1.3Vs1 speeds and higher. For skid angles of 20-25 degrees, the rudder force and position stability gradients indicate positive stability at 1.2Vs1 speeds and higher.The destabilizing effects of the nose landing gear, the forward mounted nacelles, MC thrust and extreme aft C of G location, however, combine at 1.2Vs to permit skid angles in the 35-38 degrees range. The following observations are noted:

1. These large skid angles can be obtained with any flap deflection, but only in a narrow range of airspeeds of around 1.2Vs1. The skid angles reduce to the 20-25 degree range without pilot input if the airspeed varies as much as +5 knots with full rudder control.

2. The thrust dependence of the 35-40 degree skid angle is shown by immediate angle reduction (without overshoot) when the critical engine is suddenly failed.

3. Essentially, full up elevator is required to hold the airspeed at 1.2Vs1 in the maximum skid. If this deflection input is not precisely timed, the maximum skid will not develop.

4. Rudder position stability remains positive throughout the full rudder deflection range. Rudder force stability is positive at all points as rudder deflection is increased. Plots provided by Beech show that rudder force stability can be very weak as right rudder deflection is reduced through the 16 -21 degree range during airplane skids between 16 and 22 degrees. In practice, this was seen only as a showing of rudder free recoveries initiated at or above these combined values.

In assessing compliance with FAR 23.177, it is recognized that skid angles greater than +-20 degrees can be obtained. These are seen only in one carefully controlled test condition, and under such circumstances that are not likely to be duplicated in service without prior knowledge of both the characteristic, and the entry technique. Recovery by standard control inputs is prompt and straightforward, and there is no unsafe feature associated with either the extreme skid angles or the recovery.

Despite this, the +-20 degree skid angle is more correctly representative of the airplane's response to the flight conditions throughout its flight envelope. You may therefore consider a maximum skid angle of +-20 degrees as "appropriate to type" for the model 200 in interpreting FAR 23.177(a)(1) and amended by 23-1 through 23-9.

William J. Thievon, Chief
Engineering and Manufacturing Branch"

I did testing for this characteristic in a B200 with a long tailboom installed, and found it exactly as described. The airplane was controllable exactly as described, and recovered promptly if controlled to reduce the yaw angle. But is sure was weird flying somewhat sideways, while level, and at such a slow speed. What I did during that testing seemed very similar to me as what I see in that video, other than my entering with great caution and at altitude. I was flying a B200, though the TCDS applies this special condition to the 300 and 1900 as well (and this is hand written onto the typed special condition document from the FAA). I did not let the plane stall during this testing, and thus did not spin. But it sure seems that a spin would be very close at hand, and very rapid, if while flying in this condition, things were allowed to worsen. I imagine something like that which I see in the video. As the FA letter says, you're not supposed to be there, but I guess if you get there in error, and beyond, it can get bad fast.