PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A340 Rotation Problems
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2019, 22:53
capngrog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Qestionable Finding of Pilot Error(?)

Having read as much as I could find on the Bogota A-340 events, it has become clear (to me anyway) that the BEA finding that "improper pilot practices" were the primary cause of excessively long takeoff runs at Bogota's airport is not correct. I have not been able to access the BEA report; however, a contributor to this thread (fdr) has apparently had access to at least portions of the report, and from his analyses, it seems that there were other factors at play in these incidents other than "improper pilot practices". For what ever reason, it seems that inadequate takeoff thrust was achieved during the subject events. The BEA report apparently doesn't cite this; however, the principal actions that have been taken are requiring the entering of reduced runway lengths into the flight computers, and, in the case of Air France, applying full power, reaching 50% of thrust while on brakes. These have been significant changes in procedures, which, in my opinion, seems to lift most, if not all, of the responsibility from the flight crews. As cited in Post #16 of this thread, recommended rates of rotation are being re-assessed. I think that Airbus'' performance data for certain aspects of the 340 operations require some looking into.

Anyway, just my opinion.

Cheers,
Grog