PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vortex Ring / Settling with power (Merged)
Old 17th Jul 2019, 15:50
Vertical Freedom

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Devil

Originally Posted by Mast Bumper
crab is correct. Disc loading has a significant impact on establishing at what ROD the rotor system enters VRS. It takes a lesser ROD with an empty helicopter at the end of the fuel cycle vs. a helicopter at max gross weight.

To make a slight correction to VF's contention that the Vulchard method doesn't work in fully developed VRS: in a tandem rotor helicopter it is the smartest method, no matter on your ROD. Also, an S-64 Aircrane responds very quickly to a lateral control input to exit VRS vs. a longitudinal recovery. I've seen RODs larger than 5,000'/min and the Vulchard method works like a charm. Loggers have been doing this since the '70s.
Thanks Mast Bumper (I hope You're not bumping to often) I've never flown twins let alone a Chinook, so no comment......it is not my contention alone, many others have come to the same conclusion as I! I have many times tried & tested this method on a 350, 125, 130, 206, 407 & G2 & it didn't work at all in fully developed VRS, it did have some positive effect in IVRS. The 70's aye; then Vulchard didn't invent this at all, stole an old idea claiming it was his own invention, hmmmmm

Have You tried this method in a light single?

Happy landings

VF