PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Timely Go-Arounds
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2019, 14:04
exfocx

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
d_u_s,

I cannot find the post where you said you'd brief the FO not to call speed excursions unless they were sustained, but while SOPs stipulates the parameters for what is a stabilised approach and in this case we're considering speed, and while SOPs states minor temporary excursions outside of the envelope can be ignored, it doesn't allow you to brief the FO NOT to call excursions unless they are sustained (regardless of how much sense this makes, not having a PM call "speed" continually in trying conditions all the way down on an approach). So you're being somewhat hypocritical having a go at (N_N I think).

Those of you asking would you query ATC issuing go-around instructions..... really.......since when does ATC instruct an A/C to go-around because they're unhappy with the way you're conducting the approach? Anytime ATC instructs you to go-around you bloody well should know it's to do with THEIR end of the operation (runway availability, traffic conflict etc). This argument is nothing but a red herring / straw man argument. The same goes with what if he saw a drone, well what if he saw a flock of birds and sent you around and you flew into them and ended up in a nearby river? I'd rather take a few birds or a drone on, on or near the the ground rather than and a few hundred feet in the air on a missed approach, thank you!

I spent a LONG time in the RHS and if I was going to call for a GA I'd give a reason and over 20 yrs a number of times I gave my opinion on track miles Vs altitude, made suggestions that some speed brake may be in order or suggest the gear out of sequence, but never got into the situation of having to make that call (go-around) at low level, and I think doing so may, depending on the circumstances, may reflect poorly on the FO.

In most circumstances I'd be hard pressed to think why I'd ignore the call, and the ****tier the conditions the more likely I'd be likely to go around as your picture may not be what you think it is; what you think are the approach lights may be highway lights etc. But on a beautiful day, when everything is lined up, I think I'd want a quick reason. I guess what you know of the other crew member also matters.

Those of you saying what could go wrong, well history suggests a lot could go wrong. Go-arounds from my time in the industry have been the most frequently screwed up manoeuvre around, and that isn't my opinion. Go-arounds off an approach, not so much, but last minute unexpected ones not so pretty. From reports I've read the subsequent approaches are also usually not so flash either.