PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cold temp baroVNAV - EASA language
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2019, 10:07
oggers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to think COMPENSATION stood for FMS magic and the term CORRECTION was used for manual add-ons. But that leads to the above broken logic. On the contrary, their use of compensation in the various combinations suggests it is a generic term that stands for either of or even both.

... the temperature compensation by the system ...
... is not a substitute for the flight crew compensating for temperature effects

Then in turn the "B - ..., the flight crew should not make compensation to the altitude at the FAF and DA/H" simply means no cold corrections at all.

Correct?
Although it is slightly confusing to use the compensation word in reference to both the automatic baro VNAV adjustment and the manual altitude adjustments, when I read it in context I think the distinction is inferred.

Bearing in mind the compensation of the baro VNAV system is not intended to adjust your altitudes, only to ensure that the correct geomemtric flight path angle is provided to the vertical guidance: [B] is saying that the published temperature limit is that down to which you do not need to correct the platform altitude or DA. In other words, the published temperature is that above which neither temperature compensation to the baro based flight path angle, nor cold error temperature correction to minimum altitudes, is needed to ensure the required obstacle clearance. That is how I read it.