PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Timely Go-Arounds
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2019, 03:33
neville_nobody

Received 138 Likes on 63 Posts
Geez John, I tod ya!!
For those who don't know that entire scenario is fictitious and made up for CRM purposes as the CVR was destroyed. The accident had more to do with an unstable approach, failure of the FE/FO to speak up and the fatal decision to try to go around after selecting reverse thrust. Interestingly the lack of food consumed by the Captain may also have been a factor.

And I don't have contempt for FOs at all, or cadets. I just think that some very inexperienced FO's don't have the time in the seat to get the big picture. This can for instance mean they take 'ops manual' quotations as absolute and finite. The real world is different, and the PIC is there to ensure the ultimate safety.
This is becoming more of an issue in Australia as more airlines implement RHS Cadet programs. There have already been a several incidents of low time FO's doing unexpected things during flight critical periods.

Whilst it's all well and good for Das to bang on about FO rights and the like, when you have a 15000 hour+ experience imbalance in the flight deck it makes some situations difficult. Personally I would never have ever been 'happy' landing a Jet with 200 hours Total Time in a 35kt gusting crosswind. However that is why the Captain is there. Same with turbulence on final. You can't just divert because the FO hasn't been there before and the speed tape is rolling around. The key is good briefing and an explanation beforehand of what is expected so everyone is on the same page. However it is hard and CRM is not really built around large experience imbalances. Add to this fact that alot of these airlines only truly pay lip service to CRM, as when the chips are down they are just out to blame someone, usually the Captain.