PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Timely Go-Arounds
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2019, 01:40
das Uber Soldat

Received 127 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by dream747
I do assume soldat will go-around for the A/B if the FO calls for a go-around there and then... and then send the FO to be retrained later?
You assume correctly. Mostly because for all I know, old mate has seen something entirely unrelated and 500ft isn't the time I want to get into a discussion. So yes, round I go.

Now if he/she incorrectly insists on its use, I just turn the thing on, keep him happy then we look at the books on the ground. Simples. Intentionally insisting upon a course of action that though may be technically correct, but has one of you offside doesn't seem like a great way to build teamwork, at least to me.

What's telling in my opinion is that I have challenged a few from the 'I want to have a debate at 500ft about a go around' brigade' to provide examples of accidents that have resulted from these mythical incorrect fo initiated go arounds. Nobody has provided one. Not one.

Yet, the notion put forward is to complicate an intentionally clear and simple procedure and create a window to allow the captain to ignore a call to go around if in his view there is no problem.

And how many accidents and fatalities have we seen when this has played itself out over the years?

Scores.

As a result, I just don't see what the benefit to safety is.