PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Timely Go-Arounds
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2019, 00:33
Snakecharma

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Good god,

What a hornet’s nest!

The scariest thing about this thread is the absolute fixation on a particular course of action or theory, at the absolute rejection of any other position.

Bit like climate change or other topics de jour in the paper at the moment.

I have no idea how many times a FO has called “go around” and a captain has ignored said call, but I would wager that it isn’t all that frequent an event, and here we are getting all wrapped around the axle discussing an event that might happen infrequently at best.

There are different personalities in the flight deck, that is the nature of human interaction, and some times we will get it right and sometimes we will get it wrong, no shame in that in my opinion, we are, after all, merely human.

In most cases, as someone else has already posited, the problems can be nipped in the bud by a proper brief. But we tend to make brief “longs” and talk about all manner of crap. Make the briefings relevant, succinct and understandable and offer the opportunity for discussion at the end and most dramas will go away in my opinion. Whether that is true is in the eye of the beholder I guess, but that is my view.

I do not believe that there can be a fixed, predetermined view, on many things as they are very contextual, so stating with absolute certainty that you will do x or y actually, again in my view, goes against the crm or nts principles of using all the resources available to you to make an informed decision.

Captains are not infallible, and neither is any other crew member, and in many cases the FO is in a better place cognitively to make an observation about something going pear shaped before the Capt gets there, but that does not mean that the captain is not ultimately responsible and the ultimate decision maker. As someone else also said, it isn’t a democracy - the regulations are written as “the PIC shall...” don’t get me wrong I am not advocating a Capt Bligh like approach to life, but the buck has to stop somewhere and the person with the four bars is it.

Use your noggins and most things will work themselves out.

But I might be wrong (and I am a captain!)