PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Timely Go-Arounds
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2019, 23:19
Ollie Onion

Received 222 Likes on 77 Posts
I don't think that is what he is saying at all. Obviously if the FO raises something or calls something during a phase of flight when you have time to discuss it then you can discuss it and 're-educate' if needed. From my point of view though if the FO were to call go around on me during the last 1000' of the approach then I am going to go-around and have the discussing somewhere more appropriate. A go-around is a standard procedure and perhaps the more worrying trend here is the number of pilots on this thread who see a normal go around as a 'risky' task that should be avoided if at all possible. From a command point of view of course we hold ultimate power in the decision making area, however your job as the Captain is to also run a cohesive team both in the Cabin and Flight Deck which gives rise to an atmosphere where anyone can voice concerns, we have seen may accidents in the past when FO's have kept quiet about deviations as they have previously been ignored or berated for speaking up. The Autobrake example above is a prime example, if their is a disagreement about the need to arm it, as the Captain why not just put the FO's mind at ease on that approach and arm the bloody thing whilst briefing that you will take it out on landing. Then at an appropriate point on the ground get the manual out and have a discussion? Having flown all over the world I was quite surprised when returning to OZ at just how the FO's are treated, never being able to fly to the x-wind limits of the aircraft, unable to fly an instrument approach to minima, not being able to call stop at all during take off...... all things I was allowed to do as an FO at a major legacy carrier overseas. My first sim ride here as a Captain I was marked down as I handed control to the FO during a LOFT so that I could 'manage' the overall situation, the check captain told me that to ensure the aircraft was flown safely that I should have retained control throughout and directed the FO to talk to the Cabin, do perf numbers, talk to ATC etc. I told him I was confident that the FO could probably handle flying the aircraft on A/P into the hold at the top of the ILS while I freed up a bit of capacity to talk to everyone else whilst monitoring, he even told me off for requesting delaying vectors as I was passing my responsibility of navigation to ATC. Now some Captains out there may be superhuman in their abilities but I am not and need to be able to utilize all resources at times including a competent FO, I respect their ability to 'keep' me honest should I miss something and as such will go-around if they call it during the latter stages of the approach. I saved prevented a serious incident once when the Captain was taxying onto the gate, out of his view on my side a catering truck drove right across us, I called STOP, he stopped and the catering truck ended up 2 meters from our number two engine, with the above attitude he might have just ignored me as it looked fine to him, yes I could have slammed on the brakes but to be honest by the time I realised he wasn't going to stop to when I stopped we would have hit the truck. Ignore the other pilot at your peril.