PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vortex Ring / Settling with power (Merged)
Old 16th Jul 2019, 16:05
Vertical Freedom

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Danger

Originally Posted by Outwest
Wes Prouty explained this in an issue of Rotortales many many years ago......VRS requires 3 things, relatively high rate of decent ( most modern helicopters about 500') partial power ( can't be in VRS in an autorotation) and low airspeed ( less than translation). Only 2 ways out, moving out of the "bubble" or full down collective and entering autorotation (usually not an option). What you do with the flight controls to get you out of the bubble will depend on many factors, but in my experience lowering the collective as much as possible and forward cyclic is the best muscle memory method.

SWP is simply not enough power ( lift) available for the flight condition, hot/ high for example.
Bang on Mate.....If my old memory serves me it's 300fpm. But, from experience You need to have way higher ROD, more like +1,000fpm to go VRS! I don't go with lowering the club....just pole forward with power on. That's one less thing to do & I feel You get into cleaner air much faster, powers already on so away You go! The key is tilting the disc, with power on Your pulling clean air into the problem the moment You pole fwd!

SWP; that's a totally different story...pull more power (if You have it without cooking the donk) otherwise same as above pole fwd & fly away!

Happy landings