PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vortex Ring / Settling with power (Merged)
Old 16th Jul 2019, 10:22
Vertical Freedom

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Mike you misunderstand my point - why use a combination of yaw and lateral cyclic when simple forward cyclic will do the job just as well if not better?

People have got hung up on the 'magic' of this technique and, to be fair, it has been sold well with the glossy videos. If he just used the same amount of power and pushed the cyclic forward instead of laterally, he would fly out just as easily because it is IVRS and not VRS.

People can believe what they want but my concern over the publicity this 'technique' has gained, is that people might really think they can mishandle the aircraft sufficiently to get into VRS in the misguided belief that the Vuichard technique will guarantee recovery in 50'.

Just avoid the conditions in the first place.
You're bang on Crab....I've pushed the envelope on VRS many times (training) in the 350, 125, 130, 206, 407 & G2; & I can tell ya once Your fully established in full blown VRS the Vuichard technique does diddly squat, absolutely nuttin, the machine continues accelerating like a greased anvil towards Mother Earth. Sure it works ok (just) in IVRS, but only for very mild IVRS as the demo vid shows! But, nothing works as well as poling forward which is the way the machine is designed to go (not side-ways).....it's no surprise then how the Robinson company is now pushing this flawed technique as the new saviour for VRS?

As You stated Mate; VRS is best avoided with good airmanship, unless deliberate for the purpose of training.

Happy landings