PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Timely Go-Arounds
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2019, 07:03
das Uber Soldat

Received 127 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by galdian
Well you said there were only two options - incorrect.
Having asked, if he'd made an error and understood that then he SHOULD now be happy and approach continued.

If he could concisely tell me why he's made the unexpected call and I therefore understood the danger I'd go around.
If in doubt or confusion go around and deal with it later.

I just don't see why asking, if sitution and time pemits, is such a drama to some.
Because who is the judge of that, you? I just do not see what advantage to safety is brought about by introducing a discussion at potentially low level (you've quoted 500ft as being acceptable) for the resolution of a matter of safety. Are FO's calling Go Around spuriously so often that there is a problem? Can you honestly say in your direct experience, on your flight deck, and FO has commanded a go around at 1500 ft in VMC as you describe for an incorrect reason?

Originally Posted by galian
On this point we'll just have to agree to disagree.
OK.

Yeah there are smoking holes caused by improperly continuing, there are some caused by a stuffed up go around as well.
No, again, I asked you a specific question. Do you have a list of fatal accidents caused by an FO commanding a go around that wasn't actually required. Yes or, no, I've asked you 3 times now. Further, I asked you think your list will be bigger than my list. Yes or no. I ask you again.

Regards Chesty's remark understand where he's coming from, maybe better to say it's desireable for the F/O to be happy but at the least he should be accepting of a decision when input has been gathered, an opinion stated and open for rebuttal or improvement and a decision taken which does not lessen safety and/or deals with a situation that may be outside the experience level of the F/O.
Chesty remarked that you can operate an airliner safely and efficiently with one of the operating crew unhappy with the aircraft state. It terms of ridiculous comments in this thread, that one rates highly. As for the rest of your comment, no doubt that in situations where time permits, and FO can be educated and corrected when making a mistake by the Captain. That's learning, and invaluable. I just don't believe that on approach below the MSA, regardless of VMC or not is the time for it.

The reason I give is that every Captain who pushed on and eventually drove it into the ground would have believed, just as strongly as you in your example that the FO was wrong with their calls and that they had the situation equally under control. When you're loaded up, your focus narrows and you may not realize what the other guy sees. Facts like confirmation bias can come into play and risks are introduced into the approach that simply just do not need to be there. We mitigate this by just doing the Go Around.

There is nearly nothing to be gained, yet so much to lose.