PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Timely Go-Arounds
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2019, 02:58
Gnadenburg

Received 92 Likes on 41 Posts
Late in discussion.

A physical take-over by an FO can be a problem coupled with a "startled" captain. An FO can simply inform the tower he/she is going around. This cancels the landing clearance I believe? Though your problems may have just started if a high energy GA in an Airbus with a disorientated crew member!

It's been mentioned above. Flying with Cadets/ MPL's is difficult as they haven't seen anything significantly untoward. They are also untrained for financial savings in some airlines . Flying visual approaches in a wide body and narrow body aircraft in Asia, I was experiencing distressed input from low hour co-pilots. For example, drifting down into the circuit at say 5000' , yet flying a constant path descent onto finals to avoid TS on the LS approach path. Very safe, verbalising the three times tables and track miles eased the tension and I did write a number of de-identified reports. The problem being NO visual flying training. This is one of many examples that has me wondering how I'm going to manage grossly under-trained and inexperienced co-pilots during typhoons or other significant WX events.