PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vortex Ring / Settling with power (Merged)
Old 15th Jul 2019, 20:20
[email protected]

Received 643 Likes on 281 Posts
How much angle of bank do you use in the hover to compensate for TR Drift/translating tendency? 2, 3, 4 degrees? Maybe 5 max in some aircraft - so a very small amount of cyclic easily overcomes the TR power - I think you are greatly over-egging the effect of the yaw - if you want more lateral movement just use more bank.

Back to the standard recovery of pushing the cyclic forward - you are far more aerodynamic moving forward since that is the way the aircraft is designed to fly, unlike trying to drag it sideways with opposing cyclic and pedal.

My point about the use of collective to power out of IVRS is that with enough power available you can do exactly that so why mess about with the roll and yaw. The problem is that not rasing it to max immediatley runs the severe rsik of aggravating the condition and putting you into VRS proper. You could also just take yourself into overpitching and Nr decay

If Vuichard can produce a video where he can go past the stage he normally recovers by just raising the lever enough to worsen the stall and enter fully developed VRS and then recover from full VRS using his technique in 50', I for one will be gobsmacked but I doubt it will happen.

He also needs to demonstrate his technique on bigger and heavier aircraft for it to be valid.