PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Timely Go-Arounds
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2019, 13:16
Global Aviator

Received 129 Likes on 63 Posts
The thread is certainly evolving...

If your sitting in an airline where you have generally an experienced cockpit crew (ie QF) it could be different to where you have an experienced Capt or in fact a new Capt and experienced FO. It is never black and white (or PC neutral). As has been mentioned above stable criteria really? GA immediately? Hmm don’t think so, below stable criteria different for sure, however every factor needs to come into play. At or below the minima different again, I’d rather be in the GA realising it was not the right call than being called to tea and bikkies or worse popping the emergency slides or worse! IT IS OK TO GA!

Its a right bowl of worms. I mentioned earlier in a diff moon phase I had the unenviable task of calling a GA, this was after following company procedures (as we had height on our side), Capt insisted on pushing on, it was not pretty but it was ‘stable’. It got to the point where I had decided if he doesn’t GA this time I have no choice but to take over (no FO wants to take over), Capt at the last affirmative CAPT U MUST GA, went around, although not positively and even for a spilt second started to bring back from TOGA (again on the cusp of take over). GA completed and all of a sudden (not really all of a sudden) at bingo fuel... have to land. Capt asked for suggestions (was fairly new to type, whereas I had a few thou in the bank), my suggestion was this time let’s fly it to manufactures advice and not what your used to flying. Second approach not pretty but stable in all the boxes. Landed....... the rest...

My point is it is not black and white to a degree. Then throw in diff cultures which shouldn’t make a diff but do. It’s even harder for FO’s in places, as reference to the YOG crash.

No one sets out to crash (unless suicide), when it’s going pear shaped it not only takes a good FO to speak up but it takes a CAPT to realise and take action, otherwise...

Most airlines are now just culture, a GA is actually a positive not a negative and has been for years.

Hmmmm was I rambling? Probably, the Johnny is good!