PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CG and spins
Thread: CG and spins
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2019, 10:05
Genghis the Engineer

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts
There's always an issue that all of the professional licences train and educate people for a plethora of professional pilot roles, not just any single one. Having recently added a US CP to my EASA CPL I was struck by the very different emphasis each places on different aspects of both theory and practice - yet in theory each qualifies me to do (almost) exactly the same things, just with a different registration painted on the side.

For me, working in the technical side of aviation, the theoretical aspects of my EASA CPL are vastly more useful than the extremely minimal and light-GA centric FAA CPL written syllabus. On the other hand the greater emphasis on handling in the FAA CPL checkride is more useful to me as a test pilot than the "let's pretend we're 1960s airline pilots" content of the EASA skill test: but having done that I've found myself very well equipped to do bits of ferrying around Europe in minimally equipped aeroplanes.

Basically, I am saying that any licence course, or education course (and these combined ATPL degree programmes are both) should NOT be really narrowly focused one specific job is. That is, in my opinion, a deeply flawed view.

G

Last edited by Genghis the Engineer; 15th Jul 2019 at 10:15.