PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA SAFO Guidance to Manual flying proficiency
Old 15th Jul 2019, 09:21
Australopithecus

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts
Your attention is called to MEL22-01C. You can operate with no autopilot for one day. You may also operate with only one FD, but obviously you cannot conduct RNP-AR operations.

Thinking back to the good old days...accurate manual flying was expected on the older types as often the autopilot wasn’t up to the task of accurately flying a complex SID, especially one with noise monitoring such as at Zurich. In any case the F/O only had a turn knob or CWS on the 737-200. As I recall the airline still got fined occasionally due to lazy track keeping which would trigger the noise sensors. But very few pilots had suspect stick 'n' rudder skills.

In any event, the modern pilot may still have his mojo working, but the risk:reward ratio never seems to be in favour of manual flight. I never see anybody that I fly with voluntarily fly a manoeuvring arrival or departure with crossing restrictions, including me. While I am pretty confident in my skills, my reliability is probably 1in 10E4 at theoretical best. The aeroplane’s autoflight systems are at least two orders of magnitude more reliable. What’s the prudent pilot to do?