PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC clearance in Class G Airspace in Canada?
Old 15th Jul 2019, 08:09
A Squared

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies, folks. I could have picked a better example for my question as +TRSA pointed out, my example enters the ADIZ whcih has it's own requirements, separate from ATC, but not unrelated. Hall Beach to Rankin Inlet might have been a better example.

At any rate, that was pretty much my understanding, that not only are you not *required* to get an ATC clearance for an IFR flight entirely within Class G Airspace, but such a clearance would not be *possible* because ATC does not have the responsibility nor authority to control IFR traffic in Class G airspace. However I recently had a discussion with someone who was insisting that you must get a clearance from ATC in order to fly under IFR. I was fairly certain he was mistaken, but I wanted to get some input on this from Canadian pilots on the chance that I might be missing something and not complying with some legal requirement.

As a follow on question; there is a requirement to have filed a flight plan or a flight itinerary for any flight, including an IFR flight in uncontrolled airspace:

• 602.73 (1) Subject to subsection (3), no pilot-in-command shall operate an aircraft in IFR flight unless an IFR flight plan has been filed.
  • (3) A pilot-in-command may file an IFR flight itinerary instead of an IFR flight plan where
    • (a) the flight is conducted in part or in whole outside controlled airspace;
and

• 602.75 (2) A flight itinerary shall be filed with a responsible person, an air traffic control unit, a flight service station or a community aerodrome radio station.
Putting those together, would a flight plan with our dispatch center fulfill the requirement to file a flight itinerary with a "responsible person" ? (assume a flight which does not enter the ADIZ. )