PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Timely Go-Arounds
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2019, 08:08
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
Blind or rigid adherance to standard calls, and nothing but, can have a downside.
If I want my co-pilot to go around - and time permits - I will give a reason. e.g. 'Unstable - Go Around" or "Not visual - Go Around" or perhaps something does not seem right like "that aircraft ahead is not going to clear the runway - go around". In such cases I would expect the go around to be executed, and if not, would take control.
In Judd's example - assuming that the F/O had been properly briefed that the Captain did not intend to use autobrake - any objection should have been raised by the F/O immediately, not evinced in a "go around" call on final approach. Had the call been amplified with "we don't have autobrake...go around" it is understandable that some Captains would continue. I probably would continue on the basis that the F/O had paid no attention to the briefing, but would at least acknowledge with "autobrake not required".
Perhaps if said F/O was smart (or simply playing smart ass), maybe he could have said "checklist is not complete...go around". Depending on whether autobrake was optional or mandatory would determine the tone of the subsequent debrief. If it was mandatory I would thank him for saving me embarrassment. If it was optional he would be told firmly to listen up next time.
But should any Captain ignore a bald "go around" call? ...nope, time enough later for the other pilot to give his/her reasons. As others have said, anything is preferable to a smoking hole in the ground.
There are fairly rare occasions when time does not permit amplification - like almost in the flare and drifting too far off the centreline, or loss of visibility below minima (as in the OP here) - when the command must be issued clearly in two words and immediately executed, regardless of who makes the call and who is flying..