PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help me justify actions and save my career
Old 3rd Nov 2003, 21:41
BEagle

Received 334 Likes on 116 Posts
Amen to that, Art!

Bucc OCU in about 1976-7 hadn't graduated a single crew with an ab-initio pilot and an ab-initio nav for over 2 years. They graduated 30% of the allocated student output, yet flew 100% of the allocated hours. When student numbers dwindled, hours were used on things like 'Staff Bombing Competitions'.....

Other charm from that bunch of ar$eholes (with few exceptions - the exceptions normally being RN back-seaters who were mostly a good bunch of guys):

'OCU Dining-In Night. Priority of allocation - 1. Staff who didn't go last time, 2. Staff who did go last time, 3. Students...'

Any ex V-force students arriving were immediately dubbed 'VFW' - it stood for 'V-Force W@nker'

When the Stn Cdr gave his arrival brief, he scowled at us and announced "Few of you lot will be good enough. Most of you will fail"...

The course photograph was modified whenever anyone failed - his head would be cut off, an axe superimposed and the head stuck in a heap of others at the bottom.

A thoroughly appalling training system. Nowadays most of the staff would have been fired for harrassment - perhaps the EO programme does have some merit?

However, B**** C****** was at least 'Firm but fair'! He taught us a lot and was totally honest. Others, particularly the RAF navigators, most certainly weren't!

I was having a nice day until you awoke those memories. Oh well - shall have a commiseratory glass of champoo in this rather couth airport lounge where I'm waiting for my next flight!