PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 14th Jul 2019, 12:51
Jim_A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tdracer
At the risk of further thread drift - yes Boeing embraced going to a delegated authority in the aftermath of the strike, but it wasn't their idea - it came from DC. After watching in horror as the engineer strike effectively shut down the commercial aircraft side of the company down (zero deliveries during the strike), they naively believed moving to a delegated authority would make aircraft deliveries less dependent on engineering (which was laughably wrong). That's apparently why Boeing jumped into the delegated authority with both feet, while most companies (GE and Pratt, to name two) took a very cautious wait and see approach (I was occasionally asked for my opinion of delegated authority by my friends at GE and Pratt - my actual response would get me banned from PPRuNe, but basically I told them look at what Boeing did, and then do something completely different). But make no mistake - delegated authority was driven from Washington DC.
Letting Alan Mulally go to Ford (instead of making him Boeing CEO) is one of the biggest mistakes Boeing ever made.
Could you elaborate on the difference between the approval process before and after? Not clear on difference between DER and AR and why that matters. Thanks in advance!