PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 14th Jul 2019, 02:04
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by walkon19
Please dont get me wrong - most of the "senior' management responsible for the "culture of profit above all " at the inception of MAX are gone- Can U spell McNearney, et al ?

And that includes those who worked hard to get rid of the DER types who could and did report to FAA and NOT thru ' management"

The article - opinion piece by stan Sorcher in the seattle times was on point - BTW I know Stan
I read Stan Sorscher's opinion piece as well - and think it was spot on (by the way, if you know him, I suspect he'd appreciate spelling his name correctly). But that change to a profit driven company that did engineering (instead of the other way around) wasn't McNearney's fault - it predated him quite a bit - falling directly at the feet of Phil Condit. Condit not only started the rot, he greatly accelerated the rot with the MacDac merger. Under McNearney, things actually got better compared to the train wreck of Condit and Stonecipher who not only caused the 787 fiasco but clearly implemented a 'shoot the messenger' approach to problem reporting.

I lived through the transition from FAA to delegated authority (morphing from a DER to an Authorized Representative - AR - in the process - all of which predated McNearney by a few years). It wasn't Boeing's idea - it was dictated by the FAA leaders in the other Washington (and was being pushed down to other airframers and engine manufactures as well). Most of the people who had to deal with the delegated authority (especially the ARs) hated it (me included).